Finding the right balance in your diet takes time, and a little experimentation. You may eat the same meals as your family or friends but even if the ones you love are eating healthy meals, they may differ from your own nutrition requirements. So, the best way to eat balanced meals to maintain your health is to start thinking about what you are eating.
Thinking about your nutrition
It shouldn’t take an unfortunate incident or ill health to get you, and the ones you love, to start thinking about what you are actually eating. Just by reading this blog you should be inspired to follow good nutrition to feel your best and to age gracefully. International health experts suggest a balanced diet includes:
- eating at least five portions of fruits and vegetables daily
- higher fibre starchy foods like potatoes, bread, rice or pasta
- some dairy or dairy alternatives such as soya drinks
- beans, pulses, fish, eggs, meat and other protein
- using unsaturated oils and spreads in small amounts
- drinking plenty of fluids, more than five glasses daily
You can also cut out, or at least reduce, the foods that are high in fat, salt and sugar.
Everyone has their own individual nutrition requirements, and these change throughout your life cycle. The best way to find balanced meals that will help to maintain your health is to think more about the food you buy, eat, prepare, and share. And don’t forget to enjoy each mouthful!